Friday, February 6, 2009

My First Brick

I know. I thought the same thing. What's a brick?

My friend Deb is the absolute best. She's the one who got me into this. At a cocktail party (I love that word) last year, she innocently asked me if I was interested in doing a triathlon. I didn't even let her finish the sentence before I said "YES." I don't know why. I had consumed a few drinks, was feeling cocky and I said "YES." Ever since then, she has been a recruiter, cheerleader, trainer and life coach for a number of women she's recruited to the cause.

She called me yesterday and said "I just realized you're a month out. We've got to start working." Well, I'm five weeks out, but she effectively freaked me out. She and all her other girls aren't doing thier tri until May--but my first one is March 14th. She told me that I need to stop drinking (well, ok), drink lots of water, eat more protein (but I'm vegetarian!!!) and start doing Bricks.

Bricks are Biking and Running Combinations. We can do these different things separately, but the secret to the triathlon is that they all go TOGETHER. Going from swimming to biking isn't that tough because swimming is mostly upper body and biking is mostly lower body. But going from biking to running is a different matter. So, I did my first one--half of what the race is going to be--6 mile bike and 1 mile run. I also got to practice the transition--what do I need to take off after the bike (shoes, helmet, gloves) and put on for the run (running shoes, water belt). I wasn't expecting how HEAVY my legs felt after the bike. But I ran 1.25 miles. And I think I could do two. I'll be finding out in the next couple of weeks.

Aren't you glad to know all this stuff???

1 comment:

Sara Cox Landolt said...

I'm glad your first brick went well. It does feel weird running off the bike, but it's kindof fun too. I hope the rest of your training goes well for your first triathlon!
:-) Sara