Sunday, September 21, 2008

Categories of People

I find that I need to put things into categories. It is my way of creating a modicum of order in my little corner of the world. I realize that I do that with people who I know as well. Overall, I have general love and affinity to most of the people in my world (with a small exception of someone who totally got under my skin last week). But I definitely feel differently about many of them. Let me try to clarify as I classify:
  • Family--long-term investment people. Some I talk to or see all the time, others after long periods of times. But there's that understood thing that, after eveyone else is gone, we'll all still be there. No matter what they do (even though we are the first to complain), I'll love them always. Deep, deep bonds. My husband and children, parents, sister, cousins, aunts and uncles, grandparents all fit into that category.
  • Acquaintances--those people who I know, and some I even like. But they are people who come in and out of your life without much meaning. They may feel more or less connected to me, but they are the type of people who I realize that--when I see them after a long period of time--that I haven't really thought about them much.
  • Working Friends--I am very lucky that there are few people I've worked with that I haven't had good experiences with. But I always keep that "professional" veil on. There are a few who transition to "Friends" and I love that!
  • Friends--I am so blessed to have many who fit into this category. These are more than acquantances. These are people who, when I think of them, I smile. I have bonded with these people in very interesting ways. I usually know them on a deeper level and they know me. I know in a pinch, I could call on them. Or, if I were in their town, I could call on them for a dinner out. I always feel like I have more to learn from them and look forward to that! Many in my church community fit into this, but also other categories. There are higher and lower degrees of friends, but the key attribute is that they make me happy thinking about them.
  • Soul Friends--I have a few people who fit into these categories. These are people who know me on a very deep level, challenge me, love me deeply and I love them back in return. I'm not whole unless I am able to touch base with them on a regular basis, even if it is in little ways.

About a year ago, I heard a terrifying statistic--that one in four people didn't have anyone they could confide in. To me, that meant having good friends, family or soul friends. I realized how MANY people I had who could fit into that category and I realized how blessed I was. And how sad I was for others. Unlike money, food, clothes or electronics, that is something I can't donate.

2 comments:

Shawn said...

I liked your categories. I'd agree with the same distinctions for people I know as well.
If that 1 in 4 statistic is true, it's very sad. I don't have many I'd call 'Soul Friends', but the friends and family group is overflowing. :)

Anonymous said...

There's a staggering piece of information I learned within the last year while reading books like "Bowling Alone" and spreading the word about Social Capital at work.

Social isolation kills more people each year than smoking.

Pretty scary stuff! There's a Vonnegut quote that goes with that idea that, and i'll paraphrase, that the best thing young people can do is to find a cure for lonliness.

I too am blessed with more Social Capital than i know what to do with most of the time, and there are times I cry out for solitude and quiet. But WOW is it great knowing who is out there for me!