Friday, October 21, 2011

Reflections on Coming Out


So, I'm picking this blog thing back up. I'm thinking of doing another blog or just doing this one under the radar for a little bit and see if it sticks.

Last Thursday, I "came out." As a bunch of things:

  • A divorced woman
  • An apartment dweller
  • A woman in therapy
  • NOT a republican
  • A bi-sexual

Ironically, the most important part of this was coming out as a divorced person to my Facebook friends--as I hadn't mentioned it since I left. I just was tired about NOT mentioning things related to all that on FB. It became ridiculous.

I really thought that the world might implode when I pushed "Publish" but, remarkably, it didn't. Instead I got comments of love and support that would reduce any person to extreme humility. And I know the last part of my coming out was more important to some, but for me it was the bigger story--it was just about being myself, whatever that means. About putting myself out there and seeing if I was still loved. And what I'm finding is that I'm loved more, not less, for embracing that full humanity.

Here's the link to my post.



No comments: