Sunday, December 14, 2008

Reindeer Run Rules

So yesterday was our second 5K race and it was good! I had a crazy week--two projects in two cities, about 80 hours of work and a midnight flight home from NYC on Friday. But I was up naturally about 5:30 before my 6am alarm.

The big challenge was that it was COLD. Those of you up North will laugh, but it was in the low 50s and it was very cold for us. But I didn't want to overdress because as soon as my body warmed up I would be cold.

I was excited about the Reindeer Run because they give really great shirts. It was a long sleeve Under Armor kind of shirt. So that was going to have to do.

My goal with this race was to run--more than what I did on the last one where my times were pretty embarrassing. I wanted to lengthen my stride a little bit more and pick up my feet more.

We got off to a good start. I got kind of paranoid when just a little into the race I heard something drop on the ground and it was my car key that I had tucked into my sports bra. After that, I kept checking my bra, making anyone who was watching possibly wonder what was happening.

At the first mile, I was thrilled to see my time. 13.25. For those of you who run (who are some of the only ones who read my blog), this will make you laugh. But for me, it was a full minute off my time during the last run. I was thrilled.

The run went through some gorgeous home areas in Maitland. Once my body warmed up it was a PERFECT temperature to run. And no turtlenecks or santa hats this time--just comfy running clothes.

There were lots of people dressed up--like elves, Santa, snowflakes, etc. But the highlight was the Orange County firefighters who ran the whole race in their fire gear with heavy tanks on their back. For the last 20 minutes, one of them ran with Kyle (who was ahead of me, of course) and told him that Kyle wasn't to let him pass him. He especially encouraged Kyle on the last stretch to give it his all. He did and came in at 37.51.

For me, each mile was almost exactly 13.25. My second mile was at 26.5 and my third at 40. I ended up the race at 41.55. As I came across the line, they said "And here's Christine Haskins from Oviedo, FL" which cracked me up.

My lungs felt this race, which made me feel good. I didn't want to coast through it. I felt better about this race than the last one--ironic. Even more ironic since I had such little sleep and a flight the night before. I felt real good.

By the time I found Kyle at the food table, he had eaten at least 5 Rice Krispy Treats (of course). I had a banana and then we had to rush home because the poor kid had a football game for an hour as soon as we got home.

2 down. More to go....

No comments: